Part 1 | Part 2
For thousands of years, much of the content that fills our books and today lines our websites has been rooted in the written word. But in recent decades, voice interfaces have grown in both performance and popularity as users begin to seek novel ways to access information, especially through the uniquely human medium of spoken content. Services such as Alexa, Apple’s Siri, Google Home, Cortana, and so on drive more transactions and interactions every day. What was once the realm of Dick Tracy is now everywhere.
As voice interfaces become more ubiquitous, it’s necessary to content strategies, architectures, and design approaches to account for this growing access method. The new book Voice Content and Usability aims to help navigate these new waters.
In this Tag1 Team Talks episode, Michael Meyers (Business Director at Tag1) talks with Preston So (Editor in Chief, Tag1 Consulting, Senior Director, Product Strategy at Oracle and author of Voice Content and Usability) about how Ask GeorgiaGov, the first voice interface for residents of the state of Georgia and among the earliest content-drive voice interfaces in existence, came to life.
For a transcript of this video, see Transcript: Preston So - Voice Content and Usability part 2 (Georgia.gov).
- Preston's recent blog posts about voice
- How to classify interactions for conversational interfaces
- Register, diglossia, and why it's important to distinguish spoken from written conversational interfaces
- How we integrated Alexa with Drupal for Ask GeorgiaGov, the first voice interface for residents of Georgia
- Can voice assistants displace screen readers? | preston.so
- Conversational maxims and the cooperative principle in voice interface design
- Can your content speak for itself? Introducing Voice Content and Usability from A Book Apart
- Voice interface design is about good writing, not just good design
- Affordance and wayfinding in voice interface design
- Preston's conversational content strategy series
- Building usable conversations: How to approach conversational interfaces
- Building usable conversations: Conversational information architecture | preston.so
- Building usable conversations: Effective conversational design | preston.so
- Building usable conversations: Conversational content strategy | preston.so
- Building usable conversations: Conversational usability testing | preston.so
- Building usable conversations: The story of Ask GeorgiaGov
- A List Apart articles
- Selected talks about voice and voice content
- Frontend United: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAy6AP-MZ4o
- VOICE Summit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt6J_N9HmnQ
- An Event Apart summary: https://hookedoncode.com/2020/06/well-said-giving-your-content-a-voice/